I hope it helps.
2. ITALY, SAN MARINO, CROATIA AND SLOVENIA BY CAR (9 DAYS)
- Day 1: Milan.
- Day 2: Milan > Bologna (you have trains that connect both cities in one hour, it’s not worth taking the car in Milan).
- Day 3: Bologna > San Marino > Rimini > night in Bologna.
- Day 4: Bologna > Venice > Piran> night in Pula.
- Day 5: Pula > Rovinj > night in Bled.
- Day 6: Bled Lake, Gorges of Vintgar and castle of Bled.
- Day 7: Bled > Lake Bohinj > Ljubljana.
- Day 8: Ljubljana > Skocjan caves > Trieste.
- Day 9: Trieste > Return.
3. IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT THIS ROAD TRIP
- We rented a car in Bologna with Europcar and we dropped it off at the airport of Trieste after having made the whole itinerary for an extra charge of € 73 in the reservation for leaving it in an office different from the one we picked the car up.
- With some car rental company you DON’T need to pay an extra charge for driving through San Marino, Slovenia or Croatia. Consult this point with the car rental company you are traveling with.
- The toll from Bologna to San Marino costs 8 € in April 2019 (one way).
- You have to buy a sticker / vignette to drive through the Slovenian motorways (you can buy it at any Slovenian gas station, the price is 17 € per week in April 2019).
- The places I particularly liked about the trip (although all the destinations where amazing) were: the lake Bled, the caves of Skocjan, Rovinj, San Marino and the Ljubljana atmosphere.