#Question: How many countries are there in Europe?
I hope you find the information interesting.
2. COUNTRIES OF EUROPE (50)
- Armenia (*)
- Azerbaijan (*)
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Cyprus (*)
- Czech Republic
- Georgia (*)
- Kazakhstan (*)
- Russia (*)
- San Marino
- The Netherlands
- Turkey (*)
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
(*) Those countries with an asterisk are geographically or politically Eurasian countries. More information [HERE].
3. MAP WITH THE LOCATION OF THE COUNTRIES IN EUROPE
4. NOTES AND CLARIFICATIONS
- Kosovo is not a sovereign country (yet) as its territory is currently disputed with Serbia. It is not a member of the United Nation and only 57 % of all the world countries recognize it as a sovereign state (110 out of 194).
- Armenia, Azerbaijan and Georgia: politically they can be considered European countries (they belong to the Council of Europe¹ and the European Union considers them European countries²); geographically they are Eurasian countries (located in the Caucasus, imaginary limit between Europe and Asia).
- Cyprus: politically it is a European country (it is a member state of the European Union²); geographically, it is an Asian country3 and 4.
- Kazakhstan: Politically, it is usually considered an Asian country3 and 4; geographically it is a Eurasian country (the majority of the country is located in Asia except for the western part located west of the Ural River).
- Russia: politically it has influence both in Europe and in Asia (the European Union considers it a European country², the RSA considers it Eurasian4); geographically it has 40% of its territory in Europe.
- Turkey: politically it can be considered a European country (it is a candidate member to join the European Union²); Geographically the majority of the country is located in Asia with the exception of the East Thrace region.
- Council of Europe (2021). Member States of the Council of Europe. Available [HERE].
- European Union (2021). Member States, candidates and other European countries. Available [HERE].
- United Nations (2021). Geographic regions. Available [HERE].
- Royal Spanish Academy (2010). The Orthography of the Spanish Language. Pages 721-728. Document not available online.
- Saberespractico.com (2021). Países y capitales de Europa. Text in Spanish. Avaliable [HERE].
- Wikipedia.org (2021). Europe > Map with the location of all the current European countries. Avaliable [HERE].
- Wikipedia.org (2021). Kosovo. Avaliable [HERE].