(*) UPDATE: The free version of Midjourney is not working any longer. The current three most popular free AIs to generate images are ideogram.ai, catbird.ai and leonardo.ai. Try it and tell me what you think.
The current best AI to generate images is Midjourney.
It’s not my opinion, it’s almost unanimous on the Internet and the results are light years ahead of Dall-E, Stable Difussion and the rest of the current well-known image AIs (the picture above -made with Midjourney- is worthier than a thousand words).
Is it perfect? Not at all, but the results are incredible for image creation through text (and somewhat weaker when we want to edit our own images; at least in my experience).
Oh, and it’s also free to use (for now).
Below I tell you the strengths and weaknesses of this AI.
(*) This post —like the rest in this website— is not paid in any way; I am sharing it with you because not long ago I was the one who was searching for the best artificial intelligence to create images and now I know the answer (for pure empiricism) and I can save you the work. Of course, I will update the article as soon as better competitors come out, which should happen soon. If you already know one, feel free to share it with all of us.
2. CURRENT PROS AND CONS OF MIDJOURNEY (CURRENT BEST AI IMAGE GENERATOR)
- It’s quite probably the best AI to generate images today. ✅
- Is free (no card registration for trial). ✅
- It allows you to create images through simple text as well as from one or more images of your own or from the Internet. ✅
- All your creations are saved in your profile once generated. ✅
- You can ask for more versions of your creation once you like one of them. ✅
- Due to being currently in beta, the user interface -through Discord- is not too clean. Let’s hope that the official version is simpler. ❌
- You have to register on Discord to use it (it takes less than 30 seconds, but it’s still unnecessary friction and time wasting). ❌
- To generate the images —for free— you have to access one of the chats for newbies, write the /imagine command and type the image you want to create (note: in the first message you send, you will be asked to accept the terms and conditions of use and will not create any images for you. You will have to write a second time in the chat) and the result are published in the chat itself along with the rest of the people (it is chaotic, but you can be inspired by what other people are generating). ❌
- If you want to create an AI image in Midjourney using your own picture, you’ll need to upload it to the chat (+ symbol), copy the resulting URL once it’s posted in the chat, and then use that URL to create your AI generated/modified image. Here I tell you how (because it is not intuitive at the moment). ❌
As you can see, the user experience is a little bit rough, but the results are really WORTH IT.
Try it yourself and tell me what you think.
3. ANYTHING TO ASK OR ADD?
If you have any questions about the process or know any other powerful AI for images creation, share it in the comments!